All About Comhatlas
What is Comhaltas?
Comhaltas Ceoltórí Éireann (CCE) which can be trasnlated to the Gathering of the musicians of Ireland. The main purpose of Comhaltas is to promote and keep the irish culture alive through its dance, music, songs and language.
How it Started
In January 1951 representatives of the Pipers Club, Dublin travelled to Mullingar and met to form an organization that would promote and embrace all traditional instruments. They planned for the first Fleadh to be held in May. The aims of the Fleadh were to restore the music of Ireland to its rightful place
to bring together the cream of traditional musicians from the four corners of Ireland. There were competitons, a concert and a ceili.
This gave traditional musicians a platform where they could play to a really appreciative audience and where the traditional style was the criterion.
Benefits of Joining Comhaltas
1. Treoir magazine 3/4 times a year from Ireland
2. Discounts at events run by Comhaltas
3. Being part of a world wide organization that promotes the language, music, song and dance.
4. Encouraging youth to appreciate the culture
5. Affiliations with other organizations that promote the culture.
6. Promoting ceilis, sessions.
7. Creating Feile Cheoil to promote competion at a local level.
8. To promote the annual Conventions and Fleadhs in North America.
Aims and Objectives
1. To promote Irish traditional music in all its forms
2. To restore the playing of the harp and uilleann pipes
3. To promote Irish traditional dancing
4. To foster and promote the Irish language at all times.
5. To create a closer bond among all lovers of Traditional music
6. To co-operate with all groups working for the restoration of Irish culture
7. To establish branches throughout the country and abroad to achieve the aims and objectives
There are 415 branches in 15 countries and 4 continents and 10 of these branches can be found in Canada.